The rapid technological leaps have transformed computing, which in turn, has transformed the way we live and work. Digitalisation, coupled with advances in robotics, is unfolding a hi-tech never ever imagined. Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning play an instrumental role in robotics.
What is Robotics?
Robotics is a field of engineering and computer science. It focuses on the creation, operation, and application of robots. Advanced technology, such as sensors, actuators, and computer algorithms, is utilised to develop machines that perform tasks with minimal human input.
Today, robots have arrived in industrial and domestic settings. Soon, they will touch our lives in a multitude of amazing ways. Robotics is utilised in varied industries like manufacturing, healthcare, transportation, and service to automate repetitive tasks, improve productivity, and ensure quality control. Robotics and artificial intelligence are the two sides of a coin.
AI and ML in Robotics
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) play a crucial role in robotics. They allow robots to perform tasks that would typically require human intelligence, such as perception, decision making, and pattern recognition.
The algorithms of AI and ML are used to train robots to navigate through specific environments, identify and track objects, and interact with humans. In addition, AI and ML help optimise the performance of robots and improve their efficiency, reliability, and safety. Self-driving cars, drones, manufacturing robots, medical robots, and service robots are examples of Robotics applications of AI and ML.
Role of AI and ML in Robotics
· Highly efficient AI-powered robots are able to perform tasks faster and more accurately. The result of this is a consistent increase in productivity and minimised errors.
· Thanks to AI, robots are able to make decisions and perform tasks independently. No humans are needed for supervision or monitoring.
· Since AI is used to monitor and control robots, the safety of both workers and the robots is guaranteed. AI ensures secure operations and a working environment.
· AI-powered robots can handle risky or expensive tasks. This not only saves human lives but also cuts costs considerably.
· AI equips robots to analyse data and make predictions based on that data. It empowers companies and businesses to take better-informed, strategic decisions.
· AI enables robots to work around the clock without a break. It is a great boon for the productivity of the company. It reduces labour costs as well.
· Robots equipped with Machine Learning algorithms are able to adapt to new situations and environments. It improves their flexibility and ability to perform a wide range of tasks.
· Machine Learning enabled can learn on a continuous basis and improve over time, which can lead to better performance and enhanced efficiency.
· Machine learning algorithms can be used to predict when a robot is likely to fail and schedule maintenance accordingly, which can reduce downtime and improve overall performance.
· Machine learning algorithms can be used to improve the control of robots, allowing them to perform more complex tasks with greater precision.
· When a situation becomes uncertain, Machine Learning makes it possible for robots to make decisions based on uncertain or incomplete information.
· One significant role of AI and ML is to train the robots to perform tasks in different ways to suit different requirements. This creates exclusively personalised and unique experiences for customers. These robots are much better at customer interactions and responses, thus leading to better customer service and a high level of customer delight.
There is a great demand for AI in various industry segments. According to Fortune Business Insights, “the AI market is expected to rise to $360 billion by 2028 at a CAGR of 33.6% during 2021-2028.” Consequently, the demand for AI skills will also skyrocket.
Having an artificial intelligence or machine learning certification from a reputed institute in your kitty will surely help you in your career journey. Emeritus India, a global edtech platform, offers Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Courses by IIT Delhi, IIM Kozhikode and ISB.